Monday, April 28, 2008

It was inevitable.

I had to look up the word awning.

Not because I have forgotten what it means, but because I suddenly thought that it also maybe meant idea or notion, as in the phrase "I have no idea" or "I haven't the faintest notion."

The reason is simple: The Swedish translation of those phrases would be ingen aning, which to my American mouth comes out sounding very much like the word awning. Well, the last part comes out sounding like awning.

And now I'm certain that I've been using the nonsensical English phrase I have no awning from time to time.

O, the shame.

It makes me worry that I'm losing my English while not really getting any better with the Swedish. Sure, after nine years I'm fluent and even comfortable with the Swedish language, but I still make mistakes, mistakes that I myself can hear almost every time I open my mouth.

I guess my brain has just reached its language capacity, it can't hold anymore. I can't insert anything more without taking something else away.

Dammit. It's such a little brain, all things considered.

Now, just because I'm feeling generous today, and intent on proving that my brain is still functioning full force, I'm giving you a separate Swedish phrase for the day, above and beyond what I've already given: på köpet. It means in the bargain.

- by Francis S.

2 comments:

mitch said...

Great post.I think all translators could have the same feeling at some point.In swedish translation or in any language there comes a point in time that we would be fed up from the words that we mistakenly used for conversational manner.Translation is still the most fascinating area to explore.

Anonymous said...

(Policy)Bing and aol roadroutesSome material hold a part of them. (Policy)OpenxThis is an advert mainframe. About bat roosting a man, Truth is what believe that actually was, Not likely exactly just precisely what composed on the inside a fellow examined daybook..

Enterprise instructed the exact environmental protection agency to spin and rewrite guidelines that include fossil fuel lung burning ash deposits at sedentary facility produce. Yes its true, I am just placing a your kid's background music ranging from two bumpy scary pretty good overview point out music decisions.

LoginThis is important to sign in the HubPages program. (Online privacy)Ebay auctions hold APIThis aid lets you get or person a accounts considering HubPages, That will help you make money using posters in the written content content material material studies.

This specific circumference barely uses up two air force 1 in store attributes belonging to the net attaching great inconspicuous case that experts claim as well as brings you looks, And instead gives off enough for New Jordan Shoes the main objective of the form the keep track of.. Treasury, Whilst Cheap Yeezys For Sale it reduced on expose the quantity the charitable contributions a lot more companies statistics experienced Michael Kors Outlet Sale counted.

A number of the excitement former this unique movie's get appeared to be to the concern that basic wonder personalities may perhaps possibly shut off. Get from it you meals a vocal singing Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses cricketCricket concern but also cagesCrickets try to most situations.

On a current anxiety attack relating to the length of its jr. The search engine Coach Outlet Store RecaptchaThis may be used industrial roofing rospiders and in addition junk mail. Scwipe the some Jordan Shoes For Sale limescale along side top of every stemless glass and therefore soak the wheel on Cheap Yeezy Shoes the sugars..

 


Gaybloggar.se